ARTIST OF THE WEEK : ALANA STEWART



Alana Stewart is an amazing soulful, singer and songwriter from New York. Though her music appears to be 
simplistic the emotion and soul behind it isn't. Any musician that can portray that through their music deserves 
the talent that they have been given. On the 27th Of June she released her incredible E.P The misuse of Chemistry 
with Chess Club (a label that has exposed a lot of alternative acts such as  Mumford and Sons, Local natives 
and Group lovers), After listening to her music you can't help but feel relaxed and calm, that is why I truly believe
sheis an act to watch out for in the future. Her E.P is currently out; you can purchase it by clicking on this link:
itunes.com/gb/album/the-misuse-of-chemistry/id446147397

Intrigued by her rather interesting story, i wanted to know more about Alana, so i decided to get in touch with
her and interview her! ,have a read about how this young girl went from busking to being an established singer.
The most memorable, negative experience, I had whilst busking, was when I was travelling in Iceland, supporting myself by busking on Laugavegur Street. A convertible full of jock, playboy, brats, drove past me and one of the guys pulled out a bunch of change and threw it at me; they all laughed and drove away.                                                            
Absolutely, I think the city you live in and where you are from makes more of a difference in who you are. Where you live dictates your ideals, your pace, your aesthetic stimuli, the type and quality of food you eat, the lectures, stories and music you hear. I've had very significant developments in what and how I write that have corresponded to the different cities I've lived in and the underlying thread has always been what I was exposed to as a child- a foundation in jazz and gospel-country.

I most admire Feist, Leonard Cohen, Neko Case, Dolly Parton, and Bjork.  

Maria Peszek - Moje Miasto The Microphones - I Felt My Shape





 M. Craft - Dragonfly 

If I weren’t a singer, I would be a writer, I love words, I love the impact they have.

The Misuse of Chemistry is a phrase I heard in a lecture by environmental scientist, Theo Colborn. She wrote a book called 'Our Stolen Future'. Her point was that all of the artificial chemicals we've made products with and solved so-called "problems" , are impacting our health in subtle and severe ways. Plastics, pesticides, chlorine, and (believe it or not) ,birth control pills, are completely disrupting our endocrine systems, making us infertile, sick, diabetic, and basically causing a string of heart-breaking health problems for us. I also like how 'chemistry' is used to describe the spark of love, both platonic and romantic. I think a lot of my songs focus on themes around life mismanagement and how we often make mistakes when we're blinded by our desires.

I would choose a Guitar because it’s lighter and less expensive; it's generally more user-friendly I think.

[Interviewed By, Milan London]

CHECK OUT ALANA'S NEW SINGLE - MOMMA SAYS BELOW! 



AND FOLLOW HER ON TWITTER FOR MORE UPDATES
http://twitter.com/#!/@msalanastewart

AND VISIT HER FACEBOOK PAGE!
http://www.facebook.com/AlanaStewartMusic